Learn all the best things you would ever need to know about turtles with this fun list of the top ten most interesting facts about turtles.
- Turtles have existed for over 220 million years ago.
- There are approximately 300 species of turtles.
- Antarctica is the only continent turtles don’t live on.
- You can tell a turtles gender by the noise it makes. The males grunt and the females hiss.
- The blood of hibernating turtles acts like antifreeze, allowing it to tolerate cold temperatures.
- Not all turtles and tortoises hibernate.
- Some female turtles produce eggs for up to four years after mating.
- All turtles lay their eggs on land, not water.
- Some land turtles are fast enough to out run humans.
- Turtles, along with water snakes, crocodiles, alligators, dolphins and whales, will drown if kept underwater for too long.
Galapagos giant tortoise; Geochelone elephantopus